Monday, March 1, 2010

A New Chapter - Or At Least a New Page


Super Son has left the building...at least, temporarily. He's gone off for a week to serve as a Page in the Washington State Senate. It's going to be a great experience.

Daring Daughter, Professor X and I are missing him. This is the first time he's been away for that long. The four of us do so much together - go to movies, plays, concerts, play board games, cook, laugh - that it feels very weird not to have him here. It's like the comfy chair of our family has lost one leg. Pretty soon we'll figure out how to be a three-legged stool, and we'll have a good time for the next few days. But this gives me a hint of what things will be like in three years when he goes away to college. And I don't like it, not one little bit.

7 comments:

Shana said...

The times, they are a changing. Speaking as a mother on the other side of the *they grow up and move away* divide.

Bill Lisleman said...

congrats - a page in the Senate
that's hard to get right?
College - honestly I was happy to see them off. The sad thing was just them growing up and not being the cute (I can modify my memory anyway I like) little kids anymore.

Becky said...

That is so cool! I did that in the Florida state legislature when I was a kid, and it was a great experience. I felt so grown up! I did not, however, learn a lot about government.

I hope you don't miss him too too much.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Shana - I will be seeking your wisdom about this. Hopefully over some beverages with sugared rims.

lisleman - I DO miss my tiny children. But I love the fine adults they are becoming.

Becky - Thanks, buddy. He should learn quite a bit. They have lessons about WA state government for part of each day. Of course, I've been schlepping both kids up there for years on lobby trips so they both have some understanding of how it works already.

Ginny Marie said...

And I'm worried about missing my girl when she goes to all day kindergarten next year! They grow up so fast...

Thank you for coming over to encourage me with HASAY! I need all the encouragement I can get!

Bee said...

There is something sweet, and ever so slightly twee, about the title "page." I bet he will have great fun, though; and hopefully not come home with an advanced case of cynicism.

Three-legged stool: Oh, yes! We will be experiencing this as of September.

Jason, as himself said...

Well the Washington State Senate is beautiful!

My Amelia is getting ready to go to college...she will be in San Francisco, about 5 hours north of our home. Yikes!!!