Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Things That Make My Heart Go Pitty-Pat


It's a funny thing, defining what moves a person.

What gives their life meaning and keeps them going.

This post is NOT about my family, despite the fact that they do that and more for me.

I received a note from a friend recently. It ended with a line from one of my favorite movies, Casablanca.

"We'll always have Paris."

That conjures up all kinds of feelings; that despite how something has ended, one has a lovely memory to treasure of a time they enjoyed with someone else.



I know the movie is a romance and that I'm supposed to feel sad because Rick has done the noble thing, sending Ilsa away with her husband. And I do love the iconic moment when he tilts her head up and says "Here's looking at you, kid."

My heart starts to flutter just looking at her so-damned-cute hat. But there are two other lines that really set my pulses racing. Watch the ending and see if you can guess what they are.



Rick shoots Major Strasser, the police reinforcements arrive, and Captain Renault hesitates for a moment. Camera angle cuts back and forth between him and Rick. What will he say?

Round up the usual suspects.


This moves me. Louis Renault, corrupt and flawed, has chosen to protect a noble man who has possibly committed murder. He gives up everything he has to fight against the evil of oppression, to risk death for something truly important.

Admittedly, most of us aren't tested this way. Make no mistake, though. We face opportunities to stand up for our core values every day. To protect our friends when they need our help. To work together with companions to get things sorted out.

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Cue stirring music. Walk off into the mist side by side, jauntily, ready to face whatever fate has to toss at you.



Oh, yeah. My heart is pounding hard.


What moves you? Feel free to illustrate your answer with movie quotes if it pleases you.

10 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

I could quote 'The Big Chill' and 'Broadcast News' all day.
From the BC
"No one ever said it would be easy...at least no-one ever said it to me"
"Just trying to keep the conversation lively..."
"When you're a Mummy you can be mean"
"Sometimes I don't believe the things I hear myself saying"
and many. many more.
x

Barry said...

"A guy fell of a seven story building once and at every floor they heard him say: so far, so good. So far, so good."

Quote from the Magnificent 7

It doesn't say how it turned out.

Kathy Amen said...

Casablanca. No doubt: best.movie.ever. It has everything. Thanks for reminding me!

Annie said...

I guess my eyes were so full of tears the last dozen times I watched "Casablanca" that I didn't "get" the significance of Louis Renault's tossing the bottle of "Vichy" into the trash. OK, watching your clip, I "got" it. It was a clue that he had, at that moment, decided no longer to support the Vichy puppet regime that collaborated with the Nazis.

Great post!

Fantastic Forrest said...

Rachel - good ones.

Barry - hey, Explorer, it's all about the quality of the journey. :-)

Kathy - you're welcome, you little tree fetishist.

Annie - oh, yeah! That Vichy water toss was awesome. Claude Rains RULES. I love his smartassedness and the quick witted repartee between him and Rick.

Also, I love your bunny spoons! Must remember to mention the giveaway tomorrow. As you know, I haven't figured out yet how to comment on your blog.

Bee said...

I don't have the kind of mind that holds onto lines from films -- or jokes, for that matter. I'VE GOT NOTHING! But I always enjoy your stuff. xx

shrink on the couch said...

Oh.. I'm such a sucker for the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice.. for example, the exchange between Darcy and Exliabeth which ends with this:

-------


Elizabeth Bennet: I'm no longer surprised at you knowing only six accomplished women, Mr Darcy. I rather wonder at your knowing any.

TBM said...

Fabulous post!

And I'm with phd in yogurtry about JA ;-)

Miss Healthypants said...

Oh my gosh, sooo much moves me!

So many movies move me--like "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "Grapes of Wrath."

Johnny Cash singing "We'll Meet Again" moves me.

And of course "It's a Wonderful Life." I CANNOT watch that movie without crying. :)

Nimble said...

Not a movie quote but a whole book: The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. A teaching book is created (it contains computer graphics, is interactive, and is linked intermittently to a voice actress). It was created for the pampered daughter of a powerful man. But it accidentally winds up in the hands of a poor girl in precarious circumstances. The book teaches the girl how to read, how to take care of herself and on and on. The voice actress who interacts with her becomes obsessed with the girl's well being. The book (that is more than a book) acts as a parent. I find it very moving.