Sunday, April 5, 2009

Time Conversions


Time zones are a funky concept. I was trying to figure how to convert 18:00 GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) into my own time, so I used the magical Google machine.

Mon dieu! What a plethora of cool sites there are to explore. GMT Time Converter taught me my amazing factoid for the day: Pacific Time Zone is GMT-7.

For now, that is. During Daylight Savings Time. After Nov. 1, 2009, PT is GMT-8.

We have friends in the Republic of Ireland and U.K. and Italy and France. They feel very far away. But at least now I know how to calculate our relative times of day, so I can speculate what they're doing at certain times. That makes me feel empowered, which may sound stupid, but it's nonetheless true.

Actually, all I have to do is look at the lower right corner of my Facebook page. I often see my overseas friends are online to chat. Hooray! That is the best invention ever.



In case you're wondering why I had to figure out what my time is at 18:00 GMT, it's because one of my favorite bloggers in England, Alexandre Fabbri,-------------->
checks his blog chat around then each day. I have such a variable schedule that I couldn't commit to such an arrangement for my blog, but I think it's neat.



Oh - and that cool graphic at the beginning? I found it at
TheBestTyme.

8 comments:

stephanie said...

Wait, I'm confused. Is that photo of your blogger friend??

Anyhoo. The library's Poetry Slam is this Thursday - wanna go? I can't convert the time to GMT for you; it's at 7:00 p.m.

Fantastic Forrest said...

The photo is from the film (Double Life of Veronique) my blogger friend (formerly known as Col. Brandon) now uses as the focus of his current blog, Brasserie Alizé. Dunno what he really looks like. Probably Hugh Laurie. ;-)

Yes, my sweet. I will go to the slam with you. Thanks for the invite. You know Live Wire! has a poet this month, right? An awesome poet.

shrink on the couch said...

My question is, where is GMT-0? I'm sure I learned this, or something to this effect, in some geography class or other.

Fantastic Forrest said...

PhD - wouldn't that be the same as Greenwich Mean Time? GMT-0 time zone is London, Lisbon, Edinburgh, Dublin Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlrphotography/3117979425/

Barry said...

The chat feature on Facebook is a great way to stay in touch. I use it with my cousin in Australia and with both my daughters who live (slightly) out of town.

Jason, as himself said...

This is one of the beauties of blogging. Not only lots of new friends, but so many of them are international! Never before in the history of the world could this kind of communication taken place. I guess that's kind of obvious though.

But cool!

Jayne said...

I had to do the same thing just the other day - trying to work out what time it will be in my part of the world when it's 7.30pm GMT.

I'm hopeless at time stuff - movies with time travel in them and time zones and daylight savings (which ended here on the weekend. I thought I was on the ball by putting my clocks back, only to discover in the evening I was an hour behind because my clocks had adjusted themselves automatically,damn them!)

Fantastic Forrest said...

Adjusted automatically? That is some fancy bunch o' timepieces you have, Jayne! Some time travel makes my head hurt, but there are many novels which portray it really well. It's a great device for storytelling.