Monday, November 23, 2009

Time Spent Giggling with my Girl


I've been working my way through some classic films with the kids, expanding my cultural literacy as well as theirs. You'll recall that we recently watched Metropolis and were struck by the image of workers dehumanized by industrialists putting them in mindless, mechanical jobs.

That film was a lot more grim than our most recent one. We watched Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times. If you haven't seen it, you should rent it. My daughter was constantly laughing. Deep belly laughs interspersed with silly giggles. I was struck by how spot on Robert Downey Jr.'s depiction of Chaplin was. Chaplin had a fantastic gracefulness. He moved like a dancer. And he got caught in some pretty funny situations, as the gears scene pictured above illustrates.

The theme of poverty and a system that met efforts to organize labour with violence was an interesting companion to the funny physical comedy. J. Edgar Hoover hated Chaplin with a passion and helped get him deported. I've said before I'd love to do a film course on blacklisting and the movies. I'm beginning to think it should be a much longer course than one of my simple 5 week ones. Maybe something broader, such as the treatment of capitalism in film. We saw Michael Moore's Capitalism, a Love Story recently, and it sure had some interesting food for thought.

I'll confess I saw New Moon with my girl this weekend (Team Edward!) and enjoyed it just as much as I did Modern Times. New Moon was devoid of political content. But it had some pretty hilarious moments, especially when the young men took off their shirts. The whole movie theatre was laughing each time it happened, because it was so gratuitous. I'm glad my girl likes to watch movies with me. It's fun laughing with her.


Daring Daughter and I agree: He's very pretty.

12 comments:

Kathy Amen said...

Sounds like you are as lucky as I am--blessed with a daughter who likes to do stuff with you. Priceless!

Bee said...

From the profound to the sublime!
I've never seen a Chaplin movie; this sounds like a good one to start with.

stephanie said...

You were saying something?

;D

Barry said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Our Fall harvest being much earlier than yours (given our shorter growing season), we celebrated our Thanksgiving a month ago.

Now we can only dream of turkey.

And Chaplin movies.

shrink on the couch said...

oh yes. I will be having an Edward-feast this very afternoon. Taking my kids. I'm such a martyr.

Bill Lisleman said...

I'm learning it's not your father's vampire anymore. I heard the vampires don't die in sunlight but they sparkle?? Do they still sink their fangs into your neck? Maybe it's more of the bare muscular chest sans stake that does the trick.

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to stay off the Twilight bandwagon for as long as possible, but because all of my friends are now "Twi-hards", I am slowly coming to terms with my fate.

And I agree, he is very pretty...:)

lisahgolden said...

FINALLY going to see New Moon tomorrow. This is what transplants do when we can't travel. Thanksgiving = movies; Christmas = Chinese food.

I love watching movies with my kids. Although Nate could use some help in the hushing up department when we're watching.

Shana said...

I enjoyed my time with your girl Wednesday. Though you were missed. Your girl? Has some wicked dance moves. And her mother's snark.

Shana said...

PS: The snark was used in a completely appropriate and chuckle-inducing manner, lest my comment indicate otherwise.

Mandy said...

I was an Edward girl but now I am 100% a Volturi girl after the film.

:( My mum suddenly 'grew up' about 10 years ago and we no longer like the same stuff!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.