Friday, September 18, 2009

Entering the Forbidden Zone


Last night, Professor X and I went to see a hilarious show called Forbidden Broadway. It features four performers who are terrific singers/comedic actors. You can read more about it here. Or at their website here.

We laughed our lips off. If you get a chance to see it, you should definitely go.

Two men, two women, one pianist/tambourine player.

Very simple set - just a couple of microphones on stands and a glitzy, sparkly back curtain.

A bazillion costume/wig/facial hair changes.

Extraordinarily clever parodies of countless Broadway show tunes, both old standbys like Annie and Mary Poppins and new favorites like Spring Awakening and Wicked.

The lyrics and delivery were beautifully witty. I wish I could remember some to share with you. I tried to do a google search, but although there are numerous CDs from the shows (it began in NYC in 1982, and has been performed all over the world, with constant updating and revisions) I can't find any good full clips or lyrics. I may be compelled to actually buy a CD. If I do, I'll share some of the goodness with you in future. Meanwhile, here's a tiny taste of some of what we saw.

I wish we'd brought the kids, because they would have totally loved it. But the reason we didn't was because I only won two tickets. Yes, I said "won"! I entered a contest held by our local paper, Willamette Week, and was thrilled to win. Since the tickets were $55 each, we decided we didn't love our children that much we didn't purchase two additional for the kids.

I'd told them to go to bed before we got home, because they had school the next morning. Of course, when we pulled in the driveway, the lights were still on. I opened the door and heard the television. I totally trust my kids, but I crept in to the family room to see what they were watching. Is it just me, or have you noticed lately that some shows are becoming extremely risque, with more and more bad language and characters who commit serious misdeeds? I don't want my kids to be exposed to bad role models.


As I peeked around the corner, my worst fears were realized. It was a program about a very foul-mouthed individual who abused his position of power and conspired to cover up felonious acts.

Frost/Nixon.

I love my family of political geeks.

6 comments:

Bee said...

Satire, mockery, free stuff, politics: all the good stuff in just one night?

A Tired Wife said...

I've not heard of the show, but if it comes back around (and since I'm just outside of Washington DC .. it should) - I'm going to check it out. Sounds like fun ... and I love the theater. I'm the ONLY one in my house that does ... of course.

Barry said...

This is a show I hadn't heard of either, but it sounds like fun.

In order to be noticed, more and more shows are getting edgy, pushing the envelope. Trouble is they are pushing the wrong edge, the cheap easy boundary between language and vulgarity.

Be nice if they started to push the edge of a few ideas into new areas thought instead.

However, that would require a bit more thought and creativity.

shrink on the couch said...

Forbidden Broadway looks hilarious. I will look for it.

As for Frost/Nixon, loved it.

Miss Healthypants said...

That's too funny that your kids were watching that! I can only hope that my future children make intelligent choices like that. :)

Mandy said...

I love that your kids were watching that!! They rock, even if their parents don't love them enough to take them to theatre. :o)