Sunday, January 25, 2009

Discussing Social Justice - Matters of Race and Segregation

We've reached the midpoint on our journey through five films which explore themes of social justice. It's time for you to share your brilliance once more, as you offer comments which include some possible discussion questions for my class of adult students. If you're just joining us, please take a moment to go back to the previous two posts and leave comments there as well.

Many thanks to those of you who've already given me some wonderful comments. Please keep them coming!

Something the Lord Made

The emotional true story of two men who defied the rules of their time to launch a medical revolution, set against the backdrop of the Jim Crow south in the 1940’s. The two men, Dr. Alfred Blalock (Alan Rickman) and African-American lab technician Vivien Thomas (Mos Def), develop a new technique for helping babies with heart problems.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

I'm not familiar with this movie (though WHY? LOVE Rickman and precious Mos Def), and I'm guessing you aren't looking for questions discussing who is the hotter of the two stars...

How about:

Can you think of plausible, rational reasons for segregating people by race?

Might there be a time when it is necessary to follow the customary social rules of segregation?

That might be crap, sorry. BUT - I've awarded YOU with a "fabulous" badge at my place. :D

Fantastic Forrest said...

Great questions, Stephanie! Thanks.

I'll admit, having Rickman in the film was a major factor in my selecting it, despite the fact that his southern accent is less than believable. He is just so fine. Squee!

I'm touched and honoured by the fabulous badge. Merci, my dear friend.