Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Journey to a Strangely Familiar Land

A pair of lines from one of my most beloved films have been running through my mind this early morning as I try to sleep. So I will pluck them out to share with you so I can go back to bed. Let me know if you recognize the source:

W: How is this to end?
E: As stories must when love's denied: with tears and a journey.


And what's a journey without a map?

I discovered this very fun one quite by accident at

xkcd A webcomic of romance,
sarcasm, math, and language


Comic artist Randall Munroe has a ton of great content, but cautions those who visit his site thusly:

Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

I must confess that the map includes much I don't understand. But I'm enjoying journeying in the Blogipelago nonetheless.

I know the real world versions of the characters who speak the lines at the beginning of this post would find the internet quite bewildering. But I've no doubt that, once over their shock, they'd be willing to set off on an adventure to discover as much as possible.

I like people who like journeys.
Even if some of the journeys are mostly in our minds.

11 comments:

TBM said...

I am disqualified. I had to look up your quotation because I'm too impatient to wait until you wake up and reveal the source!!

Totally loving the map. I am relieved to know that I do not understand some of it. LOL! I avoid math when possible (that sounds like a piece of flair on FaceBook).

Mandy said...

I think I am going blind - I can't see Blogger! I have a Livejournal and Last.fm so I am well represented, yo!

Dave King said...

I too had to look it up. Sorry to be such a disappointment!

Barry said...

I tired looking it up but failed at even that.

Love the map though. I've blown it up and printed it out so I could see it better.

Mrs ElderBerry said...

thank you so much for visiting my blog dear and l do so love maps l have a collection of them left to me by an elderly relative.

Karen Jensen said...

This is a great map--I'm going to share it.

Fantastic Forrest said...

JaPRA, and Dave - were you familiar with the film, even though you didn't recognize the quote? Glad you liked the map!

Emm - I can't see it either. I think it's just part of the Blogipelago.

Barry - I'm going to give it a couple days, and if no one identifies the film, I'll reveal it to you all!

Mrs. E - I'll bet your relative didn't have any maps like that one! :)

Professor J - It is a great one to share!

TBM said...

Yes, I have seen it and must see it again, considering where I live ;-)

lisahgolden said...

The map is wonderful. I am a liberal arts major type, but I still think of blogs as a Venn Diagram of overlapping circles, which is, I believe, kind of a math concept.

I still reel at the journey I've been on since setting sail around the Blogopalego and beyond.

momiji said...

Thanks for visiting my blog - this way I could discover yours in return which I like a lot. Absolute fan of Wodehouse, Laurie and Fry as well as Shakespear and what not, I think I have a lot to read over here (starting by this little quote between the Lord and his Queen ;), so I'll be coming here regularly if you don't mind.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Lisa - You obviously are a Renaissance woman. Like you, I feel amazed at the places we can go and friends we make thanks to the good ship Bloggy.

Momjii - your blog is very fun! I found you by searching for Wodehouse fans - those profile searches are a beautiful thing - and really enjoy your very unique Parisian perspective. I'll try to keep things interesting for you over here. You obviously know the source of the quote. I'll give it one more day to see if anyone else can ID it, then reveal the film if no one else does.